Our History

The end of the war led to the resumption of activies in the 1946-7 season and Pontnewydd's fixture list included such teams as Talywain, Newport Saracens, Pontypool United, Rhymney, Newport United and Garndiffaith. 

In May 1947 the club secured the tenancy of the King's Head Ground and the following year saw the formation of the Athletic team. For season 1952-3 the club had a new club badge following permission from the Cwmbran Development Corporation to incorporate it's crest into the design

Pontnewydd became Monmouthshire League champions for season 1955-6 and that summer saw players, committee and supporters build new changing rooms and showers in accommodationthat had previously been stables behind the King's Head Hotel. This gave the club it's first-ever changing rooms independent of a public house.

In 1958 the WRU set up it's first coaching course and following his accreditation, Laughton Smith was appointed as the club's first official coach and Pontnewydd became one of the first club's in Wales to have such an appointee.